Authors: Nolen Akerman
Click the image for the interactive version.
- Well laid out design
- Excellent story telling
- Just the right amount of self-exploration and interactivity included
- Good use of annotations to guide the reader
- Nice font choice (with two exceptions…see below)
- Clean design - I like how how removed all of the lines on the chart borders to reduce the noise
- Good color choices (with one inconsistency…see below)
- Nice touch to add the fish images
- Highlighting the major points by making them big and bold (like the years since the record was broken)
- I like the emphasis on the record in the scatterplot by making it red
- Nice summary at the top of the records
- Good use of coloring the months bar chart to double emphasize the frequency
- Good tooltips, though I would remove the command buttons
- The map bubbles change colors for some reason when you select a different fish. The color does not signify anything that I’m aware of, so a single color should be used for all fish.
- The text on top of the bars in the bar chart are a different font. This is the only font inconsistency.
- The font in the scatterplot looks like Arial which doesn’t match the rest of the viz.
- The decimal places are over-precise. One decimal place would probably be fine.
- The horizontal bar charts in the middle are set to “fit entire view” which cases the bars to not look so good when there’s only one in the list. I like to ensure all of my bars have the same thickness.